The Equus is a horse with zebra stripes. It’s a rare animal and every rider’s dream horse because it can run fast, carry heavy loads, and alert the rider in the face of danger.
The Equus has capabilities that can be very helpful to its rider. They’re difficult to tame. So, when you finally find one, how can you tame it?
In this article, you’ll learn how to tame the Equus, including its capabilities and other helpful information.
How You Can Tame Equus Ark PS4
Taming the Equus Ark may be difficult, but it’s possible. Although there are no hard and fast rules on how to tame the Equus, there are some tricks you can use.
You can tame the Equus by
- Using flyers
- Caging it
- Feeding it.
Let’s consider these methods more in-depth.
Use flyers: The Equus is a small animal, but it can carry its rider comfortably like a horse. However, its size makes it susceptible to air creatures, also called flyers.
You can use that to your advantage if you have access to flyers. Follow the steps below to tame an Equus using flyers
- Mount a flyer (e.g., quetzal, wyverns, etc.) that can pick the horse without letting it go.
- Fly towards the Equus and pick it up.
- Take it to your epic base, where you should have a stone wall (a pen).
- Drop it inside the wall. It will show signs of agitation by running up and down the wall.
- Watch it till it stops running. When it becomes quiet, prepare your food in your last item slot.
- Go close to it, quietly, because it’s a sensitive animal, then feed it with kibbles, or rockarrots. Have up to 40-50 available.
- While it’s eating, mount it. It’ll begin to jump and kick to throw you off. Ensure you don’t let go.
- As it kicks and jumps, feed it. Keep feeding it and stay on it till it’s calm.
Cage it: If you don’t have access to flyers, you can still tame the Equus by caging it. Here’s how:
- Once you sight the Equus, hit it with a Bola. It’d keep it still for a while.
- Then quickly cage it by placing wooden boxes around it. You should leave a little opening that you can enter through, but that won’t fit the Equus.
- Once you have surrounded it, go in and feed it.
- Once you feed it, mount it. It’d begin to kick and jump.
- Keep feeding it as it jumps, and no matter what you do, don’t fall off; else, the horse will lose lots of taming effectiveness.
- Continue the feeding process till it’s calm.
Feed it: The Equus is a very sensitive but non-violent animal. If it senses someone close to it, it runs very fast. So whatever you’re doing, you want to be quiet and quick.
Here’s what to do when you see an Equus:
- Move stealthily towards it from behind. Ensure it doesn’t see you. You can wear a ghillie suit as camouflage.
- Feed it with kibbles or rockarrots, whichever you have but have lots of them.
- While it’s eating, mount it and hold on tight. It’d begin to run around since there are no walls to contain it.
- Try to keep it calm while still feeding it at every buck.
- Once it starts jumping, feed it. It would keep running wild. You should keep feeding it anytime it jumps and kicks till it’s calm.
The Equus, when not caged, is restless with someone on its back, so you’d need to hold on tight. It can run anywhere and try its best to kick you off its back. If you fall off, it’ll run away, and you’ve lost your chance.
A Handy Tip: Before using any of the above methods, ensure you rid the area where you’re taming the Equus of all predators, especially if you’re taming alone.
If there are predators, they may attack you and the Equus, and it’ll just be a miss on your part. If you can’t get rid of them, you can seek the help of the tribe mates or tame Dinos to keep watch while you tame the Equus.
Otherwise, you can build stone walls or wooden walls. The wooden walls can keep smaller predators out, but you’d need a stone wall to keep the larger ones out.
Don’t let it get into the water as you try to tame it. So it’s best to tame it on a field or an enclosed place. If there’s a river and it gets into the water, you automatically lose taming. It’ll buck you off, and you’d have to look for another Equus to tame.
Once you have tamed the Equus, you can place a saddle on it. The saddle is not compulsory as you can ride it without a saddle. However, the saddle creates space where you can hang your lassos and other equipment for protection.
To mount, feed and calm the Equus, press the E button on your PS4. There’s a slot that shows the taming effectiveness and how well you’re doing. Once you have tamed the Equus, it will show.
Depending on your world, it may take you some hours to tame an Equus. So, you should keep food and water for yourself before attempting it.
The Equus is a very useful and resourceful animal when tamed. In the next section, we’ll look at how a tame Equus benefits the rider so you’d understand why it’s important to tame it.
What Can The Equus Do?
The Equus has several capabilities that other animals don’t have.
- It runs very fast. Its speed can be an advantage when you’re in danger.
- You can also explore different areas quickly as it doesn’t tire easily.
- It can carry heavy loads. Riders go about with their loads, and the Equus can carry it.
- It has weight reduction and, therefore, can carry resources like ore, crystal, metal, etc.
- It’s good for gathering food for the rider. It can gather berries sufficient for its rider.
- It can warn the rider of an impending attack.
- In the face of an attack, It’d kick, take a few hits, or run away. Its hind kick is very powerful and can knock out some creatures.
- It supports the use of lassos. You can throw lassos to catch smaller creatures while riding the Equus. You can then drag the creature to your base. The Equus hind leg kick can help tame the captured animal if it proves stubborn.
- A tame Equus is a loyal and faithful companion to its rider.
A Handy Tip: While the Equus can sense danger, it cannot stand and fight. It’d rather run away from danger than confront it. The reason is that the Equus is a peaceful animal.
Where Can You Locate The Equus?
There are different kinds of Equus: the Equus, the Aberrant Equus, and the R-Equus. They are special and aren’t found everywhere – they’re only available in strategic locations.
- The Island.
- The Scorched Earth.
- The Centre
- Lost Island
- Crystal Isle
- Genesis: Part 1
- Lost Island
- Genesis: Part 2
A Handy Tip: The location of the Equus will appear on your map. However, you can only tame one at level 10. Then, you’d need to get to level 20 to unlock its saddle.
What Danger Is The Equus Prone To?
The Equus is a small creature, and although it has lots of abilities, it’s still a prey. Preys can devour or carry it away.
The following can trap the Equus:
- Bear traps (large ones too)
- Net projectile
- Plant species Y trap
Also, flyer predators can easily carry it away due to its size. You should beware of the following flyers:
- Wyverns (Fire crystal, Ice, Poison, Blood crystal, etc)
- Aberrant Megalosaurus
What Food Does The Equus Eat?
The Equus doesn’t eat anything; it feeds on certain foods. Ensure you have at least 40-50 of them, especially when you want to tame an Equus. You can place the food on your action bar to access it when you need to use it.
Here is a list of food you can feed your tamed Equus.
- Troodon Egg Kibble
- Sweet vegetable cake
- Other Vegetables
- Dilophosaur Kibble
A Handy Tip: Equus’ favorites are troodon kibble and rockarrot. You should also use any of them when taming the horse. It’s best to use either kibble or rockarrot while taming because it’s easy to get, and the horse loves it, so you tame it faster.
You can use other berries and vegetables, but it’ll take longer. You may lose taming bonus levels due to the delay.
The Equus is a rare but useful animal, but difficult to tame.However, taming is possible.The taming differs from that of other animals. If you must tame it, you should first isolate it in a place cleared of all carnivores.
You can then use a flyer to carry it to a stone wall. You can make a makeshift wooden wall if you don’t have a stone wall.
Once contained, feed and mount it. As you continue feeding it, remain on it and try calming it. Continue the process till it’s tame. Once tamed, you can enjoy all its benefits.